Wednesday, May 04, 2005

I'm Nobody. Who are you?

by Emily Dickinson

I'm Nobody. Who are you?
Are you Nobody, too?
Then there's a pair of us - don't tell.
They'd banish us, you know.

How dreary to be somebody -
How public, like a frog -
To tell your name the livelong day
To an admiring bog.

I've always kind of liked Emily Dickinson - I learned this poem by heart in fifth grade. There are a couple of others of hers that really stayed with me. She has this interesting way with punctuation and capitalization, a bit like the constant capitals in German. I may have made some mistakes in punctuation, since I'm writing from memory rather than from a book, and that's actually very wrong of me. With Dickinson, the punctuation is an integral part of the poem. But I'm too lazy to go look it up right now. Even online.
Emily Dickinson was a very tragic character. She died young - in her thirties, if I remember correctly. She never actually intended her poems to be published; they were discovered posthumously by her sister, again, if I remember correctly, who decided they were worthy of publication. Apparently many people agreed, since Dickinson is now considered to be among the classic poets.

More on Emily Dickinson later.

3 comments:

Kody said...

0only sicx of her poems were published during her lifetime, but thay nvr say which poems were teh sicx.

Lia said...

Thank you for sharing that. I hadn't realized that any of her poems were published in her lifetime.

Kody said...

0oh, aye, you're walkome.

=(^_^)=