Thursday, September 22, 2005

New Fifty Word Fiction

It's been too long since I did any writing exercises, and I noticed as I was writing a school project last night that I am slipping in my writing style. I used to be able to crank out a textbook-perfect essay on anything - with grammar, style, content - on my first try. I'm having more trouble with that, and I've started settling for content-only, rationalizing that my English is better than the professor's and everyone else will be handing in something else. But that's rationalization, and I don't write for my professors; I write for me. So I must get back in the habit of proper writing.

She sat alone on her bed, thinking of the friend she hadn't seen in months. Would he come to visit? Should she let him in? Would he try to explain?

He stood outside her door, hestitating to knock. He thought, She doesn't remember. She blocked it out. He knocked once.

No comments: